Top 5 Wednesday: Paranormal Creatures


Top 5 Wednesday was created by Lainey at GingerReadsLainey.
Click HERE for a complete list of participants and future topics.



This week's Top 5 Wednesday topic:  Books Featuring {Paranormal Creature of Your Choice}
I don't read a whole lot of fantasy or paranormal; therefore I don't read a lot about any one creature. So instead of focusing on one type, I'm just going with my favorite books that feature some kind of paranormal being.



Fae: Rhysand | A Court of Thorns and Roses Series

I’ve read books where Fae are the “good guys” and books where Fae are the “bad guys.” Either way, I enjoy reading about the different types, their different abilities, and the various lore about them. Rhysand will always be at the top of the list, though.


Brownie: Tink | The Wicked Saga
 
I’m not sure I’ve ever encountered another Brownie before Tink. Maybe that’s because he is one of a kind. Equal parts snarky and sympathetic, Tink steals every scene he’s in.




Demon: Roth | The Dark Elements Trilogy

Who would’ve thought that when it came to who main character Layla would end up with I was firmly on the side of the Crown Prince of Hell? Yeah, maybe his title is a little off-putting, but Roth was seriously the total package. Demon FTW!



Vampire: Vladimir Sanguinati | The Others Series

I absolutely love the vampire contingent in The Others series. Vlad is always so calm and collected and the brief glimpses of his sense of humor are priceless. And Grandfather Erebus likes to watch old movies and has a soft spot for main character Meg, while still being the most powerful vampire in their world.


Alien: Daemon Black | The Lux Series

Did anyone really doubt that Daemon would be making an appearance on this list? You know me, I’ll find a way to work Daemon and/or the Lux series into any list. My favorite paranormal series and my favorite book boyfriend. ‘Nuff said.



Do you have a reading preference when it comes to paranormal creatures? Are vampires your thing? Werewolves? Let's chat about it!

22 comments

  1. The Fae are among my favorites. I have loved all the different versions of them that I have encountered from the ACOTAR series to The Dark Artifices to The Iron Fey, I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Sam! I love all the different versions. Like, in the Wicked saga, the Fae are bad and the main characters in the books are tasked with hunting and killing them. Far different from a lot of other books!

      Delete
  2. Confession: Have no idea what a brownie is except eating one. LOL. My favorites are Vamps and Dragons. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm not 100% sure, either, Aleen! I just know they're small magical creatures. Tink is so small that Ivy (the human he lives with) dressed him in Ken (as in Barbie and Ken) doll clothes. Ha! I've never gotten into dragons but I definitely like vampires!

      Delete
  3. The only series I've read is The Lux series. The others on your list are on my tbr though. :) I don't have a preference when I read paranormal - I pretty much like them all - but I do like it when an author provides a fresh take on a common paranormal creature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Brandee. It's always more fun when there's a creative spin on the tried and true.

      Delete
  4. I really love ACoTAR - one of my favourite series of all time, and SJM is one of my favourite authors ever! And I loved how diverse her fae were and how many different abilities they had and features. LOVED it.

    I really need to read the Others! And The Lux series... One day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Di! I have so much love for the ACOTAR series. I grew to love those characters. I can't wait to see what comes next!

      And you definitely need to read The Others and The Lux series! :)

      Delete
  5. I don't know what brownie is but I'm familiar with the others. Vladimir!!! Oh I miss The Others series. I need to finish it asap. 😁❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the need to do a reread of The Others series soon. Coincidentally just yesterday I saw that the synopsis for the sixth book is now on GoodReads. It looks like it's not going to follow the same characters and I am so bummed about that! I need more Simon and Meg!!

      Delete
  6. Awesome choices, and happy to see The Others as an example. The Fae scare me the most, I would not mind a dozen brownies living in my home. I just need to remember to leave them tea and cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Others is definitely a favorite series. Love those characters!
      Wow, interesting that it's the Fae that scare you most!
      LOL Brownies might actually be fun to have around. :)

      Delete
  7. I do like reading about fae, especially if they're more on the darker side. And I don't think I've ever read a brownie in a book, but they seem like they would be fun creatures too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've only read one book where the Fae were dark and scary and it was definitely a fun take on them.

      Delete
  8. I used to read a LOT more urban fantasy and paranormal romance than I do now. I was always a big fan of vampires. :)

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the vampire stories, too, Lauren. In fact, I was just recommended a vampire series by Dianne Duvall that I'm super excited to start.

      Delete
  9. Vladimir is one of my favourite vampires. I confess I'm not fond of vampires as I used to be, but I find the vampires from The Others series very enjoyable (probably because they are not your typical vampires; I really like the way Bishop's writes them).

    Happy readings!
    Tânia @MyLovelySecret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read a book with vampires as the main focus in a long time but I do love the vampires in The Others series. :) Vlad and Nyx and Grandfather Erebus... such good characters!

      Delete
  10. Nice picks! Even if I haven't read any of the books LOL!

    Let's see... I don't think I have a favorite type, but here are a few individual portrayals I like:

    Fairy Godmothers: Elena, from Mercedes Lackey's The Fairy Godmother. Lackey builds a really interesting world and magic system, where "The Tradition" (an inanimate power) tries to force people into traditional fairytale stories and roles. Fairy Godmothers try to keep the Tradition from playing out the stories with bad endings, and help those who are being forced into paths they don't really want to take.

    Werewolves: not a creature favorite, but I do love Remus Lupin, from the Harry Potter series. Kind, caring, principled, Lupin wants to live a normal life, but as the only available werewolf siding against Voldemort, he willingly goes undercover for Dumbledore and the Order of the Phoenix after he resigns his post as Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

    Vampires: I don't read many vampire books at all, but the vampires in Deborah Harkness's All Souls Trilogy are my favorites -- especially Matthew Clairmont, his son Marcus, and Gallowglass.

    Witches: Diana Bishop from the All Souls Trilogy, and also her aunts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, The Fairy Godmother premise/magic system sounds truly unique. What a great twist on a typical retelling!

      Aw, Remus Lupin. Love him. *must go sob quietly now*

      Delete
  11. I had to google "Brownie" [of course I got a recipe lol] and then added "magical creature" to get to the definition! never heard of them before either! Love to learn about new creatures! Wicked is in my TBR because.. omg that cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brownie in this series (Wicked) is priceless. He is snarky and funny and just totally steals every scene. Oh, and he's addicted to ordering from Amazon. LOL

      Delete